BOONE COUNTY, Mo. - The Missouri Department of Transportation is inspecting the Missouri River bridge on Interstate 70 near Rocheport this week.
One lane will be closed from 7 a.m. until 1 p.m. Tuesday on the westbound bridge. On Wednesday, crews are inspecting the bridge eastbound from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
These inspections happen at least every two years.
Inspectors told ABC 17 News that the Rocheport bridge is a 6, on a rating scale of 1- 9, with 9 being a brand-new bridge.
MoDOT recently wrapped up Safe & Sound Bridge Program, a three-year project to fix more than 800 bridges.
Since then, bridges have improved, but according to a new study, Missouri still ranks high for bridges being structurally deficient. This means they need significant repairs or replacements.
MoDOT tells ABC 17 that even with a bridge being structurally deficient, they still are safe. If they weren't they'd be shut down.
Inspections like the one on the Rocheport bridge this week ensure all bridges are safe.
- Crews to reduce speed limit on major Columbia roadway Wednesday
- Columbia VFW shooting suspect sentenced to prison
- Winter weather: What you should have in your car
- Delta Upsilon suspends its Missouri chapter until 2018
- Winter weather car preparations: What you should have in your car
- Speed limit reduction coming to major Columbia roadway following MoDOT study
- Updated Confirmed structure fire on Perkins Road