JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - A Meta woman whose son died in a car accident while she was talking on a cellphone has been sentenced to one year in a county jail.
Thirty-one-year-old Stephanie Wiebold of Meta was sentenced Friday after pleading guilty to careless and imprudent driving.
Her 2-year-old son, Dallen Rackers, died when Wiebold's car went off the road and hit a rock embankment on Highway 50 in Jefferson City. The crash happened in February 2012.
Police said Meta was on the phone when the accident occurred.
Police also said her son was unrestrained while riding in the back seat and was thrown forward by the impact. Dallen died a few weeks after the accident.
- No injuries after Boone County fire; structure is "total loss"
- Car flips in Columbia crash, driver arrested
- Stephen Webber elected state Democratic Party chairman
- Missouri meth lab seizures down sharply in 2016
- Driver flown to hospital after rollover crash in Camden County
- Columbia City Council to consider implementing new traffic safety policy