BOONE COUNTY, Mo. -

A mobile home burned down early Tuesday after a fire started because of an electrical short. The fire started shortly after 2 a.m. at the home on Route M west of Ashland.

Three people were inside at the time, and got out safely thanks to a smoke detector warning. The home is considered a total loss, with the damage estimated between $15,000 and $20,000.

The cause of the fire was traced to an electrical short in the outlet where a Christmas tree was plugged in.

Crews from the Southern Boone County Fire Protection District put out the fire within ten minutes of responding. They tell ABC 17 News sub-freezing temperatures did not hinder their work.