MACON, Mo. - Law enforcement in Macon are alerting residents of a phone scam.
According to police, residents are receiving an automated phone call on their cellphones. The recording states the call is from a local bank and they are working to confirm bank card information.
Police say the caller ID is similar to the local bank's name and coming from a toll-free number with an 888 area code.
The Macon Police Department has confirmed with the local bank that it does not make automated phone calls like the ones reported. The bank told police it would never ask for customers' bank account information over the phone.
Police Chief Steve Olinger is reminding residents to be cautious in giving out personal or banking information to anyone over the phone.
- Columbia man convicted of threatening witnesses, attorney
- Updated First responders take extra precautions to save lives in cold weather
- Audit finds gaps in state payroll system security
- MU students present designs for new airport terminal
- Car windows smashed in break-in spree
- Vehicle crash on Providence Road and I-70 exit ramp
- No one hurt in south Columbia apartment complex fire overnight