VERSAILLES, Mo. - A Morgan County man is sitting in jail after police arrest him for child molestation.
Police took 42-year-old James Varner into custody earlier this month. Court documents say he inappropriately touched a 13-year-old girl on several occasions beginning last July.
When asked if the victim's statement was true during his interrogation, Varner said in court documents, "If she told you that, then it must have happened."
ABC 17 News confirmed on Monday that Varner used to work for the Morgan County R-II school district two years ago.
His next court appearance is May 7 in Morgan County. Varner remains in jail on a $200,000 dollar bond.
- Jefferson City Fire Department responds to apartment fire
- Columbia veteran joins thousands in North Dakota pipeline protest
- Columbia veteran joins thousands in North Dakota protest
- MU study predicts reduction in crashes with new technology
- Woman pleads guilty in large drug ring
- Online fundraising for MU tutor no longer active