Multiple house fires in one week in Boone County

Multiple house fires in one week in Boon

BOONE COUNTY, Mo. - There have been at least four house fires in a seven-day span in Boone County. 

The first happened early Sunday morning on Wilhite Road. The home was a total loss. The second happened on Tuesday night on Perkins Road. A fire official determined the fire started in a bedroom. No one was hurt but a dog died in the fire. The third house fire happened Thursday morning on South Providence at an apartment. Temperatures were so cold firefighters said their water was freezing when they were trying to work. The latest house fire happened Friday afternoon on West Wolfe Road. The cause of the fire was determined to be unattended cooking. 

The National Fire Protection Association said unattended cooking is the cause for most house fires. But they also said heating equipment is the cause for most home fire deaths. 

As winter moves in and temperatures continue to drop, more people will be using heating equipment to keep their homes warm. 

Fire officials say space heaters should be unplugged before going to bed. They also say to never use an oven to heat your home. 

Having a professional clean and inspect your home's chimney once a year is recommended. Make sure the fireplace has a screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before you put them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.

comments powered by Disqus

ABC 17 News Stormtrack

  • Saturday, December 16 Evening Weather

Top Videos