National Guard going to Ferguson; feds now investigating teen's death

FERGUSON, Mo. - Governor Jay Nixon announced early Monday he will send the National Guard to Ferguson. Later that same afternoon, Gov. Nixon announced there will not be a curfew enforced Monday night in Ferguson.

President Obama also spoke about a federal investigation launched into the death of Michael Brown. Forty FBI agents started gathering information near the scene and talked to witnesses. There is also going to be a federal, independent autopsy, and U.S. Attorney General, Eric Holder, is traveling to the St. Louis suburb on Wednesday to meet with investigators.

Nixon already signed an executive order directing the National Guard to "help restore peace and order and to protect the citizens of Ferguson."

Nixon's order comes after protests over the death of Michael Brown turned violent again Sunday night. What began as a peaceful rally turned more chaotic as night fell.

Some demonstrators threw rocks and Molotov cocktails at police, who fired tear gas in response. People then threw those tear gas canisters back at the police.

In a press conference early Monday, Captain Ron Johnson with the Missouri State Highway Patrol said police were forced to respond after getting reports of gunshots, firebombs, looting and vandalism. According to Johnson, workers at a McDonald's restaurant locked themselves in a storeroom when looters invaded the building.

At least two people were hurt Sunday night, but no police officers were injured. At least seven people were also arrested. All this happened more than three hours before a midnight curfew took effect for a second straight night.

Because of the ongoing unrest, the Ferguson-Florissant school district has canceled school for Monday. It's the third time that what was supposed to be the first day of school was postponed. The Jennings and Riverview Gardens districts have also canceled classes for Monday.

Protesters have vowed to keep marching until the officer who shot Brown on August 9. An autopsy conducted over the weekend concluded Brown was shot six times, including twice in the head.

Stay with ABC 17 News for updates throughout the day.   

comments powered by Disqus

ABC 17 News Stormtrack

  • Monday, October 23 Morning Weather Video

Top Videos