Missouri Highway Patrol said there are many rules of the water that are not statute.
One of the rules is to be a defensive driver.
Since there are no designated lanes on the water, a boat can turn any direction, at any time.
Children under the age of 7 must always have a life jacket on.
According to the U.S. Coast Guard, 500 people die each year from drowning due to boating accidents.
84 percent of the people who died did not have a life jacket on.
Water Patrol said before drinking to designate a sober driver.
Water Patrol also said they have seen fewer accidents on the water in the past few years.
- No injuries after Boone County fire; structure is "total loss"
- Car flips in Columbia crash, driver arrested
- Stephen Webber elected state Democratic Party chairman
- Missouri meth lab seizures down sharply in 2016
- Driver flown to hospital after rollover crash in Camden County
- Columbia City Council to consider implementing new traffic safety policy