COLUMBIA, Mo. - One person was injured and an apartment damaged after a small kitchen fire Thursday afternoon.
The Columbia Fire Department responded to a fire at the Keeneland Downs Apartments at 8 North Keene Street.
The person who called 9-1-1 said they smelled smoke and heard an alarm from an upstairs apartment.
Firefighters found smoke coming from a second floor apartment in the 8-unit, 2-story apartment building.
When firefighters got into the apartment, they found the remains of a cooking fire in the kitchen that had gone out on its own.
A 77-year-old man was taken to University Hospital with moderate burns from a pan of heated oil.
Fire crews determined the oil probably overheated and caught fire.
The fire damaged the kitchen cabinets, and did smoke damage to the apartment. Damage costs were estimated to be around $6500.
- Updated One suspect charged in multi-county burglary bust
- Injury crash shuts down westbound Highway 50
- Updated Holts Summit man arrested for threatening family members
- Updated Prosecutor files charge against former MU wide receiver
- Updated Boone County crews battle house fire on West Wolfe Road
- Lack of school resource officers in Boone County
- MU football hires defensive line coach