One sent to hospital following kitchen fire

COLUMBIA, Mo. - One person was injured and an apartment damaged after a small kitchen fire Thursday afternoon.

The Columbia Fire Department responded to a fire at the Keeneland Downs Apartments at 8 North Keene Street. 

The person who called 9-1-1 said they smelled smoke and heard an alarm from an upstairs apartment.

Firefighters found smoke coming from a second floor apartment in the 8-unit, 2-story apartment building. 

When firefighters got into the apartment, they found the remains of a cooking fire in the kitchen that had gone out on its own. 

A 77-year-old man was taken to University Hospital with moderate burns from a pan of heated oil.

Fire crews determined the oil probably overheated and caught fire.

The fire damaged the kitchen cabinets, and did smoke damage to the apartment. Damage costs were estimated to be around $6500.

comments powered by Disqus

ABC 17 News Stormtrack

  • Sunday, May 28 Morning Weather Video

Top Videos