COLUMBIA, Mo. - Boone Electric Cooperative is warning customers of a possible phone scam.
A caller claimed to be a representative of Boone Electric Cooperative and needed to collect payment for accounts that were allegedly due for disconnection of service.
The customer was told to go to Gerbes on Broadway and buy a green dot money pack, which is a prepaid, refillable VISA, and then call back with the code on the back.
Boone Electric said it does not collect payments like this. The company urges members not to make a payment over the phone unless the customer initiates a call to the Boone Electric office or automated payment system.
- Updated Woman in fatal crash wasn't wearing seat belt
- Updated Suspect indecently exposes himself on East Rollins Street
- New Man's petition to set aside guilty plea in murder case denied
- Governor's security detail to remain same under Greitens
- Man is arrested for aggravated stalking, was hiding in victim's backyard
- Victim assaulted and robbed by same suspect within a week
- Governor--elect Greiteins vows to tighten up on crime