COLUMBIA, Mo. - Columbia police have made an arrest after a serious crash on Ash Street Tuesday evening.
The Columbia Fire Department was called to the scene of an accident on Ash Street and Ridgeway Avenue around 6 p.m. Tuesday. The driver of one vehicle had to be cut out by emergency crews.
According to officials, a white pickup truck slammed into the other driver's side door.
43-year-old Lynna Relford-Jones, 27-year-old Altamese White, 8-year-old Cecil Johnson and 8-month-old Carleitho White were all transported to University Hospital with serious injuries. Police say only Altamese White was wearing a seat belt.
For days, police had been searching for the driver. Thursday, police made an arrest in the case.
Police caught up to Jesus Mendez-Castaneda, 25, after a traffic stop in the 1300 block of Millbrook Court. Investigators say he had been a suspect in the crash and officers received a report he was in the area.
Police say Mendez-Castaneda had injuries consistent with being in a crash and admitted he was the driver of the white truck involved.
He was arrested on various charges including leaving the scene, four counts of second-degree assault, not having a valid drivers license and possession of cocaine.
- Updated Update: Ripley Street scene clear after reported fire
- Updated Proposed law would make violence against police a hate crime
- UPDATE: Fatal crash near Midway
- Interim president announces search for permanent chancellor
- Man arrested for kidnapping and assaulting Columbia woman
- Repeat offender arrested
- Police arrest a man after he allegedly threatens a woman with a machete and taser