JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - Sinkholes are catching the attention of some Missouri lawmakers.
Legislators want to pass a law that would force insurance companies to offer sinkhole coverage for homeowners.
Geology experts told ABC 17 News that they are trying to develop technology to predict where a sinkhole might happen.
Expert Doug Gouzie says sinkholes are caused by the collapse of limestone and dolomite, both of which are common in the state.
However, experts don't believe that they will be able to predict the exact location. They do hope they will be able to pinpoint within 100 yards where a sinkhole could form.
- Four people injured in Montgomery County crash likely caused by weather
- Amid snowfall, crews respond to at least five crashes in less than an hour
- Man charged with possesion of child pornography to be sentenced Monday
- No injuries after Boone County fire; structure is "total loss"
- Pipe replacements to close roads in Callaway County
- Columbia City Council to consider implementing new traffic safety policy