COLUMBIA, Mo. - As a Columbia motel closes its doors, the remaining residents are moving out and Wednesday, do not know why it's closing.
Providence Inn and Suites will stop operating tomorrow, more than three weeks after owners announced its closing.
Wednesday ABC 17 News discovered that the owner was charged with operating his motel without a business license just 10 days after a 16-year-old girl turned up dead from a possible heroin overdose in a motel room.
"I payed my rent and then I was told I had less than 30 days to get out," said Lawana Woods, a resident at Providence Inn and Suites.
In the days that followed Woods had been looking for answers as to why this place was closing.
She heard that it was because of the high volume of police calls coming from the motel.
ABC 17 News was determined to get answers from the current owner, Keith Owens, but found he has been charged with operating the motel without a license.
The Columbia/Boone County Health Department who also inspects the motel said the last inspection in March found general uncleanliness.
Inspectors found strong odors in the room, feces seeping from the bottom of toilets and mold growing on the floors.
However, it is the state health department that is responsible for giving business licenses to lodging businesses.
ABC 17 News reached out to the health department but have not heard back as to why Owens did not have a license.
Did Owens not want to pay the the $50 fee or could he not pass inspection?
Regardless now several people are searching for a new home.
"I'm just going to basically go to the next hotel until a landlord lets somebody have a chance," said Woods.
As of Wednesday no new owner has applied for a business license to take over the motel.