COLUMBIA, Mo. - As a Columbia preschool closes after more than 50 years, the community honored its long-serving teacher Sunday afternoon.
Sharen Garrett had served as the sole teacher at the preschool on Broadway and Clinkscales for about 20 years. The preschool has only had two teachers since it was founded.
"I've just been rewarded beyond measure and I'm the lucky one," Garrett told ABC 17 News. "I received so much from so many people. I'm actually feeling a little overwhelmed right now."
Southwest Play School closed at the end of the school year when Garrett announced she would retire. The school is a cooperative between parents, who take turns volunteering time to raise funds, perform maintenance, run the board and fill-in teach.
- Stephen Webber elected state Democratic Party chairman
- Missouri meth lab seizures down sharply in 2016
- Driver flown to hospital after rollover crash in Camden County
- Columbia City Council to consider implementing new traffic safety policy
- Columbia Public Works to survey Nifong Boulevard
- Jefferson City Fire Department responds to apartment fire