JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - The Special Olympics Missouri State Outdoor Games are coming to Jefferson City.
The announcement came during a Jefferson City Convention and Visitors Bureau news conference, Wednesday.
The event will be held in Jefferson City starting in 2014 through 2017. The 2014 games will happen the weekend of Oct. 3-5.
Officials say the event will provide a significant impact to the area as more than 900 athletes, coaches, and family from across the state will converge on Jefferson City.
Organizers say the city's central location in the state as the main reason for the move to the capital city. They plan to use Adkins Stadium, Fields of Legens, Binder Park, the 63 Sports Complex, Washington Park, Railwood Golf Course, Ellis YMCA and Capitol Plaza Hotel as event venues.
The games were previously held in Cape Girardeau from 2010 to 2013.
- Suspect breaks into five parked cars at three different gyms
- Vehicle crash on Providence Road and I-70 exit ramp
- No one hurt in south Columbia apartment complex fire overnight
- Two dozen firefighters battle Boone County barn blaze
- Winter heat related fires
- Columbia Police Department hosts Coffee with a Cop
- Boil advisory issued for part of Osage County