COLUMBIA, Mo. - Construction crews closed a major overpass in Columbia for the weekend as they prepare to install a diverging diamond interchange.
At 7 p.m. Friday, Missouri Department of Transportation crews closed the Stadium Boulevard overpass over I-70 to finish the interchange.
The overpass will reopen by 6 a.m. on Monday, Oct. 14 as a diverging diamond interchange.
Officials say traffic on Interstate 70 will not be affected and drivers will still be able to use the eastbound and westbound on- and off-ramps. However, drivers will not be able to cross over the bridge.
STADIUM BLVD. CLOSURE DETOUR DETAILS
• The ramps at I-70 and Stadium Blvd. will be open for right turns only. This means Route E traffic can access I-70 westbound and I-70 westbound traffic can access Route E. I-70 eastbound traffic can access Stadium Boulevard and Stadium Boulevard traffic can access I-70 eastbound.
• Motorists on Route E wanting to get to I-70 eastbound or Stadium Blvd. will be detoured to Business Loop 70 West past Cosmo Park to the West Boulevard interchange. From there, they can access I-70 or use I-70 Drive SW to Beverly Drive to Bernadette to access Stadium Blvd.
• Motorists on Stadium Blvd. wanting to get to I-70 westbound or Route E will be detoured to Bernadette Drive to Beverly Drive to I-70 Drive SW to the West Boulevard interchange. From there, they can access I-70 or take Business Loop 70 West to Route E.
• I-70 traffic can also access Stadium Boulevard via the West Boulevard and Route 163 interchanges. Left turns at the West Boulevard eastbound off-ramp will not be allowed during this time period.
PROJECT STILL NOT COMPLETED
MoDOT says the new $12.8 million diverging diamond interchange project will reduce congestion in the area and make travel safer.
In addition to the interchange, construction crews will still need to widen Stadium Blvd. from I-70 to south of Broadway. Crews will also widen Bernadette Drive from Knipp Street to Beverly Drive. All construction is expected to be finished by winter 2014.MoDOT Diamond Interchange Video
- Updated One suspect charged in multi-county burglary bust
- Injury crash shuts down westbound Highway 50
- Updated Holts Summit man arrested for threatening family members
- Updated Prosecutor files charge against former MU wide receiver
- Updated Boone County crews battle house fire on West Wolfe Road
- Updated Lack of school resource officers in Boone County
- Updated MU football hires defensive line coach