JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - Democratic state representative Chris Kelly says a federal shutdown could have a major impact on the Missouri economy.
He says Missouri's federal employees would feel the loss of that time with no pay or work.
Kelly also says the jobs that federal employees do are crucial to the Missouri economy.
"Things like research, passports, parks, farm loans, housing loans are hugely important, and a shutdown would have an immediate impact on these areas," he said.
He says businesses that are open during the shutdown would also be impacted by those closings, since they would not be able to take advantage of some government services.
Kelly worries that this could eventually negatively effect the entire Missouri economy.
- Update: Ripley Street scene clear after reported fire
- Proposed law would make violence against police a hate crime
- Updated UPDATE: Fatal crash near Midway
- Interim president announces search for permanent chancellor
- Man arrested for kidnapping and assaulting Columbia woman
- Repeat offender arrested
- Police arrest a man after he allegedly threatens a woman with a machete and taser