Mother and 1 year-old child escape Columbia cooking fire

POSTED: 07:22 PM CST Jan 27, 2014    UPDATED: 07:46 PM CST Jan 28, 2014 
COLUMBIA, Mo. -

Officials said Tuesday unattended cooking caused a fire near the Columbia Mall. A woman and her 1 year-old child are staying with relatives after escaping unharmed Monday afternoon along Claudell Lane off Worley Street. The home was destroyed.

The Red Cross also helped a family from the other apartment on Tuesday, which includes a mother and her three children, ages 8, 13 and 15. Their unit only received minor damage.

In total, the fire cost roughly $65,000.