KANSAS CITY, Mo. - The Kansas City Royals' game against the Tampa Bay Rays was postponed on Thursday after heavy rain turned to sleet and snow during the middle of the fourth inning.
No makeup date has been set. The Rays don't return to Kansas City again this season.
The temperature was 41 degrees with winds gusting to 31 mph and rain just beginning to fall when the Royals' Ervin Santana threw the first pitch. The conditions continued to deteriorate as some of the players, dressed in stocking caps and gloves, ran in place to stay warm.
When snow starting to fall, the creative team operating Kauffman Stadium played the Yule Log on the massive video screen in center field and the "Let It Snow" on the loudspeakers.
The game was delayed 2 hours, 20 minutes when the umpires finally called it.
- Updated COMOGives on This Week
- Updated New School of Music building approved for University of Missouri
- One charged, 4 more in custody for burglaries
- Boone County home total loss after fire on West Wolfe Road
- Colder temperatures can be dangerous for pets
- Sewer line smoke test scheduled for downtown Columbia
- Holts Summit man arrested for threatening family members