SURPRISE, Ariz. - Alex Gordon, Jeff Francoeur, Elliot Johnson and Roman Hernandez homered as the Kansas City Royals beat Cleveland 5-1 Friday to wrap up the most successful spring training in franchise history.
The Royals finished 25-7-2, the best exhibition record in the majors.
Gordon hit Ubaldo Jimenez's second pitch over the center-field fence for his eighth home run. Gordon finished with a .438 batting average this spring.
Francoeur and Johnson homered in the fifth off Jimenez. The Indians' right-hander gave up just three hits, but all were home runs.
Jeremy Guthrie, who will be the Royals' No. 3 starter, gave up one run on six hits in four innings.
The Royals open the regular season Monday afternoon on the road against the Chicago White Sox.
- Updated Crash shuts down Highway 124 between Hallsville and Centralia
- University of Missouri System curators elect a new chairman
- Missouri to consider ending business tax slammed by Trump
- Deputies arrest man on suspicion of stealing a truck
- 3 people taken to hospital after Kingdom City crash
- One hurt in Cole County crash
- Federal court rules in favor of city in District Flats lawsuit