JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - A Lincoln University football player died in a Warrensburg car crash early Saturday morning.
Joe Jackson-Parks, 18, was a freshman offensive lineman for the Blue Tigers, originally from Champaign, Illinois.
The Lincoln University Blue Tigers football team issued the following statement to ABC 17 News Saturday night:
"Joe Jackson-Parks was a member of the Lincoln football team, but more importantly he was an important part of the Lincoln Blue Tiger family. We are very saddened to hear about his passing. Our deepest condolences go out to his family members."
A moment of silence was held Saturday during Lincoln's women's basketball game.
According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol, Jackson-Parks was a passenger in a car that hit a tree around 1:45 a.m.
The report says the car's driver, Saul Solis, was driving at a high rate of speed, crested a hill, lost control and hit a tree.
Jackson-Parks and Solis were killed on impact. Another passenger, Monique Hardy, suffered serious injuries and was taken by helicopter to Research Medical Center in Kansas City.
Jackson-Parks graduated from Champaign Central High School. The Highway Patrol report stated he was not wearing a seatbelt.
- Updated No one hurt in south Columbia apartment complex fire overnight
- Two dozen firefighters battle Boone County barn blaze
- Winter heat related fires
- Columbia Police Department hosts Coffee with a Cop
- Boil advisory issued for part of Osage County
- Mizzou recommends third MMR vaccine for students amid mumps outbreak
- Columbia parking task force draws up possible changes