COLUMBIA, Mo. - Effingham County High School forward Jakeenan Gant signed with Mizzou on Wednesday, making him the first member of the class of 2014 for Mizzou men's basketball.
Gant is a 6'8, 200 pound power forward from Georgia. He chose the Tigers over Connecticut, Indiana, Florida and Marquette.
"We are really excited to be adding a player of Jakeenan's caliber to our program and we have started making a recruiting name in the Southeastern Conference footprint in a short period of time," Missouri Head Coach Frank Haith said in a statement.
Gant averaged 17.9 points, 9 rebounds and nearly 4 blocks per game last year. He was named Georgia AAAAA Player of the Year last season.
"He's an outstanding young man from a great family and just has that competitive drive in everything he does, " Haith said. "He was the top player in Georgia as a junior and will keep getting better and better as he matures and adds strength. He has the ability to step out and shoot the basketball on the perimeter, defend on all levels of the court and, as he adds that strength, his offensive post game will take that next step."
Four-star shooting guard Namon Wright is expected to sign with Missouri as well, giving the Tigers two signees in the 2014 class.
Click the video player to watch highlights of Gant.
- Columbia man convicted of threatening witnesses, attorney
- Updated First responders take extra precautions to save lives in cold weather
- Audit finds gaps in state payroll system security
- MU students present designs for new airport terminal
- Car windows smashed in break-in spree
- Vehicle crash on Providence Road and I-70 exit ramp
- No one hurt in south Columbia apartment complex fire overnight