DULUTH, Ga. - DULUTH, Ga. (AP) - Kendra Grant scored 17 points, Martha Alwal added 16 and Mississippi State beat Missouri 73-70 in the first round of the Southeastern Conference tournament Wednesday night.
No. 13 seed Mississippi State (19-12) will play fifth-seeded Florida on Thursday afternoon.
Brianna Kulas finished with 18 points and 11 rebounds, while Sierra Michaelis scored 16 for 12th-seeded Missouri (17-13). The Tigers have lost two straight.
The Bulldogs, who snapped a two-game skid and won an SEC tournament game for the first time since 2010, never trailed after Alwal's two free throws made it 69-68 with 2:07 remaining.
In the closing seconds, Jerica James hit one free throw for Mississippi State, stole the ball from Maddie Stock and hit another free throw to make it 73-70 before Stock missed a 3-point attempt at the buzzer.
- Updated Woman in fatal crash wasn't wearing seat belt
- Updated Suspect indecently exposes himself on East Rollins Street
- New Man's petition to set aside guilty plea in murder case denied
- Governor's security detail to remain same under Greitens
- Man is arrested for aggravated stalking, was hiding in victim's backyard
- Victim assaulted and robbed by same suspect within a week
- Governor--elect Greiteins vows to tighten up on crime