Winter Weather Advisory:
Issued at: 12:33 PM CST on December 13, 2013, expires at: 9:00 AM CST on December 14, 2013
- ...Winter Weather Advisory remains in effect until 9 am CST Saturday... A Winter Weather Advisory for snow and freezing drizzle is in effect for tonight until 9 am CST Saturday.
- Location...this advisory includes areas along and south of a St. Joseph to Bethany line.
- Timing...freezing rain has ended across the area as temperatures have warmed above freezing. Periods of rain will continue through the afternoon hours. A gradual transition to snow is expected this evening. Steadier snows are expected to be focused across central and portions of northeast Missouri. Further west...light snow may be at times mixed with freezing drizzle. Precipitation will taper off from west to east after 3 am...exiting central Missouri after day break.
- Snow accumulations...minor snow accumulations of around 2 to perhaps 3 inches are expected across central into northeast Missouri later tonight. Lesser amounts are now anticipated further west...generally ranging from a dusting to around an inch over western Missouri.
- Ice accumulations...no additional ice accumulation is expected this afternoon. However very light ice accumulations are possible overnight across western Missouri and adjacent eastern Kansas in pockets of freezing drizzle. Also any rain from this afternoon could re-freeze into black ice once temperatures fall back below freezing.
- Impacts...exposed surfaces including roadways will again become slick and hazardous tonight as temperatures fall below freezing. Rain will refreeze into black ice...with additional snow and freezing drizzle making travel treacherous. Once the snow begins this evening...expect visibility to be low during the periods of steadier snow across central and northeast Missouri. Precautionary/preparedness actions... A Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of snow and freezing drizzle will cause travel difficulties. Be prepared for slippery roads and limited visibilities...and use caution while driving. Please report snow or ice amounts to the National Weather Service on facebook by searching for...US National Weather Service Kansas City...or by visiting http...//go.USA.Gov/dfqb (all upper case). On twitter...contact US @nwskansascity. Bookbinder