Winter Weather Advisory:
Issued at: 11:50 am CST on December 13, 2013, expires at: 6:00 AM CST on December 14, 2013
- ...Winter Weather Advisory remains in effect until 6 am CST Saturday... A Winter Weather Advisory for snow...sleet and freezing rain remains in effect until 6 am CST Saturday.
- Short term trends...freezing rain mixed with rain will continue across the Missouri Ozarks generally east of Highway 65 into early this afternoon. Precipitation had changed to rain west of Highway 65.
- Timing and areas affected...freezing rain will impact south central Missouri and the Eastern Ozarks this afternoon with a transition to rain across much of the area. Precipitation will transition back to sleet and snow this evening and continue overnight.
- Snow and sleet accumulations...snow and sleet will develop this evening and continue overnight. Accumulations will range from 3 to 6 inches generally along and north of Highway 60 and east of Interstate 49. Locally higher totals in excess of 6 inches will be possible. Lighter accumulations of 1 to 3 inches are expected across extreme southeastern Kansas and far southern Missouri.
- Ice accumulations...freezing rain accumulations will range from a trace to around one tenth of an inch across south central Missouri and the Eastern Ozarks this afternoon.
- Impacts...the wintry mix of precipitation will result in hazardous travel across the Eastern Ozarks this afternoon especially on bridges...overpasses...and untreated roads. Travel conditions will deteriorate region wide tonight as temperatures fall below freezing and snow develops. Snowfall rates will be heavy at times tonight leading to a rapid deterioration of travel conditions. Precautionary/preparedness actions... A Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of snow...sleet...or freezing rain will cause travel difficulties. Be prepared for slippery roads and limited visibilities...and use caution while driving.