Winter Storm Watch:
Issued at: 3:50 am CST on December 12, 2013, expires at: 6:00 AM CST on December 14, 2013
- ...Winter Storm Watch in effect from Friday morning through late Friday night... The National Weather Service in St Louis has issued a Winter Storm Watch...which is in effect from Friday morning through late Friday night.
- Timing...a wintry mix consisting of mostly snow...with some sleet and freezing rain...is expected to rapidly develop Friday morning. The precipitation is then expected to transition to all snow by nightfall Friday evening....finally tapering to flurries after midnight.
- Accumulations...snow accumulation of 4 to 6 inches...along with some sleet accumulation and up to a light glazing of ice.
- Winds...southeast to south 5 to 10 mph...becoming northeast late Friday night.
- Impacts...significant impacts to travel could result... especially during the Friday evening commute. Precautionary/preparedness actions... A Winter Storm Watch is advanced notice that severe winter weather is possible in the watch area...it does not mean it is a certainty. Those in the watch area should begin preparing in case the storm does materialize. If you have travel planned...you may want to adjust your travel time to avoid the storm. Also...you should use this advanced notice to make certain your vehicle is winterized. Make preparations at home by stocking emergency supplies...such as food...medicine...and extra heating fuel... just in case the storm makes travel impossible. This is especially important for those living in rural areas.