Winter Weather Advisory:
Issued at: 8:29 am CST on December 13, 2013, expires at: 6:00 AM CST on December 14, 2013
- ...Winter Weather Advisory remains in effect until 6 am CST Saturday... A Winter Weather Advisory for snow...sleet and freezing rain remains in effect until 6 am CST Saturday.
- Short term trends...a mix of rain...freezing rain and sleet had overspread southwestern Missouri and far southeastern Kansas early this morning...and will spread across the Eastern Ozarks by 1030 am. A thin glaze of ice will quickly develop on roads and elevated objects once precipitation begins. Numerous traffic accidents have been reported. Precipitation will transition to rain generally southwest of a line from Fort Scott Kansas to Cassville Missouri this morning.
- Timing and areas affected...a wintry mix will impact all of the Missouri Ozarks and southeastern Kansas today and tonight. Precipitation will transition to rain across areas generally west of Highway 65 and south of Highway 54 by this afternoon before changing back over to a wintry mix this evening. Areas to the east of Highway 65 will see a wintry mix through most of today with a transition to all sleet and snow this evening.
- Snow and sleet accumulations...sleet will occur at times mainly this morning and again tonight while snow develops tonight. Total snow and sleet accumulations will range from an inch to four inches with higher accumulations up to six inches possible across central Missouri and the Eastern Ozarks.
- Ice accumulations...freezing rain will fall today resulting in ice accumulations from a few hundredths of an inch to around one tenth of an inch.
- Impacts...the wintry mix of precipitation will result in hazardous travel conditions today and tonight especially on bridges...overpasses...and untreated roads. Travel conditions will deteriorate from southwest to northeast this morning and again tonight as temperatures fall below freezing. Precautionary/preparedness actions... A Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of snow...sleet...or freezing rain will cause travel difficulties. Be prepared for slippery roads and limited visibilities...and use caution while driving.