JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - The Senate Gubernatorial Appointments Committee approved Thursday all 44 people nominated or renominated to various state boards and commissions by Gov. Mike Parson.
Notable nominations include:
- Sandra K. Karsten as director of the Department of Public Safety
- Donald M. Claycomb, Independent, as a member of the State Board of Education
- Kimberly R. Bailey, Republican, as a member of the State Board of Education
- Carol M. Hallquist, Democrat, as a member of the State Board of Education
- Peter Herschend, Republican, as a member of the State Board of Education
Typically the committee takes up the governor’s nominations and appointments during the regular session, but the committee took up the list during the special session at Parson's request, said Sen.and committee chairman Ron Richard, R-Joplin.
“I did advise the governor and his staff about some potential controversy on several members, and they wanted to proceed,” Richard said.
Richard said nominees are only barred from serving on a board or committee if they are rejected on the Senate floor. Rejection from the committee does not bar anyone from being nominated in the future, Richard said. The governor can also protect a nominee's chances of serving in the future by withdrawing the nomination before it is voted on by the full Senate.
The Senate will take up the nominees Friday.